James T. Patton
Office of the Director of Army Safety, Arlington, VA
Profile: Safety Engineer with more than 28 years experience in safety engineering and safety management for Department of the Army (DA), including strategic planning, policy development, safety program management, and team building.
Current Assignment: Senior Safety Engineer, Office of the Director of Army Safety, 2007 to present. Planning, management, and oversight of the Army explosives safety, chemical agent safety, biological safety, and system safety programs. CP12 Safety Engineer (0803) and Explosives Safety Specialist (0017) Functional Point of Contact. Promulgate policy and standards; advise the Director of Army Safety and Army Staff; provide safety engineering assistance to all levels; conduct HQDA-level audits of Army Headquarters’ safety programs. Co-chair DA Munitions and Explosives Safety Management Council. Chair DA Biological Safety and Health Council, and DA Chemical Agent Safety Council, and DA System Safety Council.
- Assistant for Safety to the Army Secretariat, 2002-2007, advising Secretariat on safety matters; lead for Army safety policy and strategic planning; created and managed the DoD Voluntary Protection Program Center of Excellence; Career Program 12 Functional Chief’s Representative; Deputy Chair of the Defense Safety Oversight Council Military Training Task Force.
- Safety Engineer at Office of the Director of Army Safety, 1997-2002, managing explosives, chemical agent, and biological safety programs; establishing Army Safety Coordinating Panel; lead for safety in Army Transformation, safety strategic planning.
- Safety Fellow at Army Environmental Policy Institute, Atlanta, from 1996-1997, providing safety expertise in environmental policy development and reviews.
- Safety Engineer at Headquarters U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from 1988-1997, managing construction safety and environmental remediation safety programs; editor of Engineer Manual 385-1-1.
- Acting Chief of Safety and Occupational Health for Corps of Engineers South Pacific Division, 1988, advising Commander and managing safety and occupational health program.
- Chief of Safety and Occupational Health for Los Angeles District from 1986-1988, advising Commander and managing safety and occupational health program.
- Safety Engineer at Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District from 1983-1988.
- DA Safety Engineer Intern at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Savannah District and North Pacific Division from 1982-1983.
Education and Training: Graduated from Florida Institute of Technology with degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. Graduate studies in safety engineering, safety and occupational health, management, and environmental engineering. Completed Army Safety Engineer intern program.