A 25-year-old Specialist assigned to 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colorado, died in a privately owned weapon mishap 1 December 2018 in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at 2155 local. The Soldier, while hosting a party at his residence, was struck by a discharged round from a handgun that was being handled by another Soldier. Alcohol was reported as involved in the mishap.
- Firearms are designed to be deadly weapons and alcohol can have an adverse impact on your physical and mental balance. Never mix alcohol and weapons, and always THINK weapons safety!
- Treat every weapon as if it is loaded.
- Handle every weapon with care.
- Identify the target before you fire.
- Never point the muzzle at anything you don’t intend to shoot.
- Keep the weapon on safe and your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.