A Captain assigned to U.S. Army Europe at Clay Kaserne died 24 January 2018 following a PMV-4 mishap in Wiesbaden, Germany, at 1805 local. The Soldier was traveling on a highway in a borrowed subcompact vehicle in light-rain conditions when he reportedly lost control and was struck by a bus traveling the same direction. The Soldier was evacuated to a hospital but passed away from his injuries.
- Conduct individual risk management. Continuously monitor conditions and make adjustments as necessary.
- Adjust your speed for the conditions. Remember that posted speed limits are for ideal weather and road conditions.
- Brief hazardous locations on local area roads where previous accidents have occurred.
- When operating a borrowed PMV, ensure you are familiar with the vehicle’s handling characteristics before taking to the road.
- When driving a mini or micro vehicle, such as a Smart car, use extra focus on the road and always drive defensively. Remember, you are operating one of the smallest vehicles on the road, which could be a disadvantage in the event of an accident.